Saturday, December 14, 2013

New discovery of the graphic design for mobile skins

I am a self-employed graphic designer, with excellent skills in Adobe CS (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop). I’ve been designing the stickers for years when suddenly came across a new filed: the mobile skins. Such customized stickers are becoming more and more popular in the market, which result in large demand for unique exquisite designs. It’s really good news for me as a graphic designer.

Simply speaking, I earn money by design the drawings of the stickers and then sell to the company. I repeat such work day after day unstill one day I tell myself I should make something different. I decide to make something with more commercial value.

I learned that, the template of the mobile phone is the key to make the mobile skins. The word: “template” here refers to the data of the shape of a mobile phone. The cutter will cut the film according to the template in the software in order to produce the sticker that overlap with the shape of a mobile phone.

Now you may probably know what I am going to do, yes, start creating the template for various mobile phones with different brands and models. If I accumulate hundreds or even thousands of models of templates, I can make software with data base that would worth much more money! How clever I am!

However, things not go smoothly as my expectation. It’s not an easy job at all. It cost lots of time and energy to just get one accurate template data of a mobile phone. It seems it would cost 10 years for me to draw all the mobile phones in the market, ignore the non-stop publishing new models of mobile phone…

You don’t know how astonished when I come across the Daqin solution. They have software that I am dreamed of: with templates of thousands models of mobile phone and will be upgrading monthly to add newest templates! After communication with them I realized that they have a team specially draw the template and they have been doing this for years. Also I learned that the sticker can be pasted on the mobile phone cases, too. Such as the iPhone cases, Samsung cases, HTC cases…etc. For those cases, they also have templates in the software, that’s really nice.

As a graphic designer, I admire their achievement of such splendid software. Surely it cost years to accumulate thousands of models and for those newest models in the market they can create templates in time. It seems this discovery makes my dream vanished and I had better focus on the designs for my own iPhone cases. Anyway, it’s really impressive software; I like it and tribute to the team who make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment